Tuesday, October 21, 2008

DO NOT TOUCH

I often find myself pondering how to politely ask people to take care when handling merchandise. I have some porcupine quill pens (no porcupines were harmed in their creation) and I found them in the pockets of some hand knitted sweaters. Interesting!
I have music boxes with a sign in front that says “Please ask for assistance” and
frequently I hear a lullaby chiming in the background while someone examines
the pictures on the sides. I have the same signs on jewelry displayed around the store and I’ve watched as a woman pulled a necklace apart trying to get it off a mannequin.

Then there is my “Please enjoy food outside” sign on the entry door. I thought a sign wouldn’t be necessary because it’s only common sense that dripping ice cream around
silk scarves is not a good idea. Not the case. We have a candy store nearby and I find wrappers tucked away in the most creative places.

I have become much more aware of these phenomenons and when I shop, I take notice of what goes on in other stores and consider myself quite lucky. Thank goodness I didn’t feel a calling to own a toy store. A Ross or Target. Not that the money wouldn’t be nice, but I’m susceptible to ulcers and I’m sure they would be severe.

If you have a clue for my cluelessness, please advise.

No comments: