Friday, November 14, 2008

WHAT’S A WOMAN TO DO?

Along with selling retail comes many opportunities to make donations. I’m happy to comply with this tradition but I’m always confused as to what to give. According to what I’ve read, one should have an agenda behind the gift. Some say it should be a gift certificate to draw the recipient into the store. Interestingly enough, only one third of the gift certificates I’ve issued have been redeemed.

Some say you should give the most popular thing in the store. Only what would make a good impression on everyone that sees it? But I have no idea what that would be. One person’s treasure is another person’s…..

Then there’s the faction that says “dump what hasn’t sold” and probably never will. Reluctantly I admit I am somewhat in this category. When I have only one left of a popular piece and I can’t get anymore, people tend to ignore it. If I donate it, I’m passing on something that was desirable to others besides me (who ordered it in the first place) and I can make room for a new display. I guess I’m comfortable with that. Till next week or so….

No comments: